Deedles Dish in a Nutshell

I am a Midwestern girl from a long line of cooks who doesn't think cooking needs to be complicated. Enjoy the recipes!

Sunday, December 18, 2011

Ultimate Comfort Food...Chicken and Dumplings

I have a confession to make...I've never actually had chicken and dumplings before.  I know, right?!!! I came across this recipe in Taste of Home's October issue and tore it out with hopes of being brave sometime this winter and attempting the recipe!!

Boy, was I glad I did just that.  I had no idea how easy and delicious chicken and dumplings could be and it is a perfect winter comfort food.  I suggest adding or adjusting the vegetables as you or your family prefer.  Go ahead and spring for all of the spices and herbs because it really makes the dish unique and excellent. 

Chicken and Dumplings
6 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
3 bay leaves
5 fresh thyme sprigs
4 garlic cloves, peeled
1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
-------------------------------
1 cup chopped carrots
1 cup chopped celery
3 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp butter
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 tbsp all purpose flour
1 cup frozen peas (I omitted this from my recipe bc I don't like peas)
1 rotisserie chicken, shredded
1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
Dumplings
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 cup buttermilk
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 cup minced chives

In a large saucepan, combine the first five ingredients.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered for 30 minutes.  Strain and set aside.  While broth simmers, heat chicken if needed according to directions.  Tear apart. (I just went in and used my finger...it was much easier and more fun.)

In a Dutch oven, saute carrots and celery in oil and butter until tender.  Add minced garlic; cook 1 minute longer.  Stir in flour until blended; gradually add prepared broth.  Bring to a boil; cook 2 minutes or until thickened, stirring frequently.

Add peas, return to a boil.  Cook 3-5 minutes or until peas are tender.  Stir in chicken and cream; heat through.

For dumplings, combine the flour, baking powder, salt and cayenne in a large bowl.  In another bowl, combine buttermilk and eggs; stir into dry ingredients until just moistened.

Drop by tablespoonfuls onto simmering chicken misture.  Cover and simmer for about 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in a dumpling comes out clean.  Garnish with chives before serving.


This is such a great meal for a cold winter evening that the whole family will enjoy.  The spice in the broth and the dumplings gives it just the extra kick it needs. The leftovers are also amazing.  Enjoy!

Good eatin',

Deedles

No comments: