Deedles Dish in a Nutshell

I am a Midwestern girl from a long line of cooks who doesn't think cooking needs to be complicated. Enjoy the recipes!

Monday, December 19, 2011

Crock Pot French Onion Soup

There may be nothing better than a good soup on a cold winter day....except being able to use your Crock Pot or slow cooker. It is one of the easiest things on earth.  I was lucky enough to get my Grandma Ruth's crock pot after she passed away so I get to think about the wonderful memories I have of her every time I pull it out.

I don't think I tried French Onion soup until I was about a senior in high school.  My mom ordered French Onion soup at Friday's and let me try.  I was hooked! The cheese...the bread...the broth...what's not to love??? I remember coming back from studying abroad in Sicily and requesting an immediate trip to Fridays.  Among several other things (honestly, I ordered about 6 different things), French Onion soup was one of the cravings I had to satisfy!!!

Crock Pot French Onion Soup
Soup:
3 large yellow onions, sliced
3 tbsp butter, melted
1 tbsp olive oil
3 tbsp flour
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp pepper
4 14.5 ounce cans beef broth
(1/4 cup red wine, brandy or ale can be added as well)
Cheesy Broiled French Bread:
8 slices French bread 1 inch thick
shredded mozzarella
shredded or grated Parmesan

Mix onions and butter in a 3.5 to 6 Qt slow cooker.  Cover and cook on high 1 to 3 hours or until onions begin to brown slightly around the edges (it will depend on your crock pot).  Whisk flour, Worcestershire, sugar and pepper as well as wine, ale or sherry if included.  Stir flour mixuture and broth into onions.  Cover and cook on low heat 7 to 9 hours or until onions are very tender.  Top sliced bread with cheese and place under broiler.  When cheese is melted, remove from oven and place in bowl with soup, either on top or bottom. 


Mmmmmm, hot cheesy and delicious!!

OMG I forgot that I have not been including my TV shows on my recent posts! What a travesty.  Well, back to the important things.  I was watching a marathon of Scouted while the soup simmered in my kitchen, interspersed with Criminal Minds and Law and Order: SVU...regulars in my household!!

Good eatin',

Deedles

1 comment:

Ma Purdy said...

It is so easy and yummy! A perfect side for any salad or meat! I love that you love Grandma Menefee's crockpot. Sometimes it is the littlest things that make me feel the the closest!