Deedles Dish in a Nutshell

I am a Midwestern girl from a long line of cooks who doesn't think cooking needs to be complicated. Enjoy the recipes!

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Cashew Beef and Sesame Green Beans

This is the recipe that I posted on Facebook a few days ago.  It's out of the Weeknight Solutions section of the June/July edition of Taste of Home.  Here is the recipe as it indicated in the magazine:

Cashew Beef
Prep/Total Time: 30 min
Yield: 4 servings

4 tsp cornstarch
4 tsp soy sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp oyster sauce
1/4 tsp ground ginger
Dash cayenne pepper
1/2 cold water
1 lb beef top sirloin steak, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
2 Tbsp canola oil, divided
8 green onions, cut into 1 inch lengths
2/3 cup lightly salted cashews
2 garlic cloves, minced
Hot cooked rice

1. In a small bowl, combine the first seven ingredients and whisk until smooth; set aside.
2. In a large skillet or wok, stir fry beef in one tbsp oil until no longer pink.  Remove and keep warm.  Stir fry onions, cashews and garlic in remaining oil for one minute.
3. Stir cornstarch mnixture and add to the pan.  Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.  Add beef; heat through.  Serve with rice.

Here are my suggestions: Double the liquid mixture described in the first step.  I bought the "beef for stir-fry" at the local grocery store and didn't have to cut up the steak that way.  I used one cup of cashews but that would be based on preference.  Also, I marinated the meat in 1/3 cup each of vegetable oil, white wine for cooking and soy sauce.  If you like spice, I would add some Sriracha to either the marinade or liquid mixture in the recipe.

Sesame Green Beans
Coat 1 lb. fresh green beans with one sliced sweet red pepper with 1 tbsp each sesame seeds, rice venegar, sesame oil and soy sauce.  Salt and pepper to taste.  Place on greased baking sheet; bake at 425 for 20 minutes or until tender.

Suggestions: I doubled this sauce as well and coated the veggies again halfway through cooking.  I didn't add the seeds directly to the sauce but coated them on the pan.  I used red and yellow peppers.  (It looks prettier that way and I love the flavor of yellow peppers.)

Here was an example of the finished product:


PLEASE let me know if you enjoyed this recipe and also feel free to comment on what you liked or didn't about the recipe.

Good eatin', Deedles

1 comment:

Ma Purdy said...

Let's make them green beans when we are there! Would be a great side with anything on the grill I think!