Deedles Dish in a Nutshell

I am a Midwestern girl from a long line of cooks who doesn't think cooking needs to be complicated. Enjoy the recipes!

Saturday, November 26, 2011

It's a Thanksgiving Miracle!!! (I made a pie)

Hello, hello everyone out there in food blog land! I have been taking a breather from the blogging due to my insanely busy schedule this fall.  I went back to Iowa for some sad events that I would rather not discuss, was back AGAIN for one of my best friend's wedding (love you Kerri), visited my brother in San Francisco for a great sibling weekend and then just returned from Jamaica for the wedding of yet another bestie...whew!!! Yes, it has been a crazy few months but I am so excited for the holiday season.

I enjoy so much about the holidays.  I even love when the weather changes and starts getting chilly.  I get to cuddle with my cute little kitty that way! What I especially love about the holidays is the food.  No shocker there, I think that is most people's favorite parts.  I love the classics that I get to make with my family every holiday season but I also really like trying new recipes as well.

Unfortunately, this was the first Thanksgiving I did not get to spend with family.  I didn't realize how tough it would be but, I guess after 28 years, the routine is set in.  Since I couldn't be home, I decided to dive head first into some new recipes that I wanted to try.

I've said a million times in this blog that I am no baker.  I make a few things here and there and pretty much stick to those, rarely stepping outside of my comfort zone.  Interestingly, some of my co-workers encouraged me to make this recipe.  Sometimes our meetings get pretty intense, so I try to bring treats to lighten the mood and put smiles on people's faces.  This pie was a delicious Thanksgiving treat for our meeting last Wednesday. 

It was not easy, just ask my mom since I called her probably 8 times throughout the night.  That's what I don't like about baking....it's hard to know how things are going to be until you're already through the long and arduous process.  While I had little faith in my baking abilities, apparently they are in there somewhere because this pie was delicious.  Enjoy at your next holiday gathering!

Spiced Pumpkin Custard Pie
3/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
1 cup plus 2 tbsp all purpose flour
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp salt
7 tbsp shortening (I used Crisco)
2 tbsp plus 1 tsp ice water
Filling:
2 eggs
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
3/4 tsp ground allspice
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp salt
1 15 oz can solid pack pumpkin
1 12 oz evaporated milk
whipped cream, optional (but not optional in my opinion, haha)
additional ground cinnamon, optional

1. Place pecans in a food processor; cover and process until finely ground.  In a large bowl, combine the pecans, flour, ginger and salt.  Cut in shortening until mixture is crumbly.  Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball.  Press dough onto the bottom and up the sides of an ungreased 9 in. pie plate. 

2. For filling, in a large bowl, beat the eggs, sugar, spices and salt until smooth.  Beat in pumpkin.  Gradually beat in milk.  Pour into crust.

3. Bake at 400 for 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.  Cover edges with foil during the last 15 minutes to prevent overbrowning if necessary.  Cool on a wire rack.  Garnish with whipped cream and additional cinnamon if desired.  Refrigerate leftovers.

The reason I was so nervous about this is that the filling was very "liquidy" as I was mixing it with my mixer.  I had to cook it longer than the time specified above but it could be for a few reasons.  A: my oven is awful right now and I don't think it gets very hot...B: I live at a higher elevation, which may have played a part as well. 

Anyway, the pie was a huge hit.  The crust was really tastey and easy to make as well.  My co-workers were very pleased with this delicious fall treat!



Good eatin',

Deedles

No comments: