Deedles Dish in a Nutshell

I am a Midwestern girl from a long line of cooks who doesn't think cooking needs to be complicated. Enjoy the recipes!

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Yummy Iowa Corn Chowder

On a chilly October day, this was the perfect recipe.  I first had this chowder when I was back in Iowa for my grandfather's funeral.  My aunt's mother-in-law and a close friend to my grandparents brought over a big pot of corn chowder to feed our large, mourning family.  I couldn't get enough then and I can't help but make it around this time of year.  So yummy and really quite easy.

Ingredients
4 slices bacon finely chopped
1 medium onion (sweet or yellow), chopped
4 medium potatoes, cubed
1 c. water
4 c. corn (fresh or frozen)
2 c. half and half
1 tsp sugar
1/4 c margarine
2 1/2 tsp salt (to taste)
1/4 tsp pepper (to taste)
1 c. milk

Saute bacon in dutch oven or large saucepan.  Add onion, potatoes, and water, cover and bring to boil.  Simmer 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender but not mushy.  Remove cover and set aside.  In medium saucepan, combine rest of ingredients and simmer covered 10 minutes.  Combine and heat over low heat.

Tips: I actually cook the bacon first, let it cool and then break it up by hand.  I find it easier than cutting raw bacon.  I also used 5 slices instead of 4. :) When you combine the bacon and onion in the dutch oven, I added a little bit of butter to keep it from sticking to the pan before adding the potatoes and water.  I let this chowder simmer on the lowest temperature for 3 hours before serving, stirring occassionally.

If you have fresh Iowa corn or even frozen Iowa corn, USE IT!! If you don't, that's okay because it's still absolutely delicious.  And leftovers will not disappoint.



Good eatin',

Deedles

1 comment:

Ma Purdy said...

This is definitely a tough time of year, but it makes it a good time to get close to your roots. Nothing like corn, bacon, and potatoes to take you there! Grandpa and Grandma would love it! Keep cookin'!