Deedles Dish in a Nutshell

I am a Midwestern girl from a long line of cooks who doesn't think cooking needs to be complicated. Enjoy the recipes!

Monday, July 25, 2011

Hannah Banana Bread

The title of this recipe is obvious.  There is, however, a special meaning there as well.  My oldest brother, Jeremy, has always called me Hannah Banana which was often shortened to just Banana.  I didn't embrace it at first, but as we have gotten older and see each other less often, I welcome the term of endearment from Gorpy (yet another nickname...it's a common theme in our family.)

You'll probably find that I don't do much "baking."  I prefer cooking to baking for several reasons.  Savory flavors appeal to me more than sweet in general and I like to cook what I like to eat. :) Also, baking requires being very exact and precise with measurements and following directions.  While those of you who know me know that I am quite a Type A personality, I prefer to be more fluid in the kitchen.  A pinch here, a dash there...taste...add again.  That is much more my style.

Every once in a while, though, I get the urge to bake.  It was easier this time, considering I had three bananas that were about to be thrown out.  Sometimes convenience is the only push we need.

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup white sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 butter, melted
3 bananas, mashed

Directions:
1. Grease and flour a bread pan.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 
2. In one bowl, whisk together flour, soda, salt and sugar.  Mix in slightly beaten eggs, melted butter and mashed bananas.  Pour into pan.
3. Bake at 350 for 1 hour or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Nutritional Info:
Servings per recipe: 16
Amount per serving:
Calories: 145
Carbohydrates: 26.54 g
Cholesterol: 34.06 mg
Dietary Fiber: 0.89 g
Fat: 3.69 g
Protein: 2.27 g
Sodium: 180.97 mg

So there it is, folks! A delicious and super easy banana bread recipe.  I love this for breakfast but it is also a great afternoon snack.



Good eatin',

Deedles

No comments: