Deedles Dish in a Nutshell

I am a Midwestern girl from a long line of cooks who doesn't think cooking needs to be complicated. Enjoy the recipes!

Monday, March 12, 2012

Caramelized Onion & Garlic Pasta with Savory Romano Sticks

I love pasta.  I mean I LOVE pasta.  And I always have.  The famous story is that when I was in Kindergarten, my class put together a cookbook where we were asked what our favorite meals were and they were all put together in a cookbook for the class.  Out of all the things my mom makes homemade (I've mentioned many on here), I picked spaghetti.  Recipe as follows: 1 lb. hamburger, spaghetti, 1 bottle Prego.  Cook hamburger.  Mix and serve.  My mom was MORTIFIED.  But it's what I wanted so what was she going to do?

Don't worry, her spaghetti has come a long way since those days.  Spaghetti is still one of my favorite meals and, wait did I mention? I LOVE PASTA.  I came across a recipe in a Taste of Home magazine that looked like a nice and light pasta dish with great flavors mixed in.  The breadsticks are a nice addition as well.


Caramelized Onion & Garlic Pasta
I halved the recipe below and had enough for 2 servings with leftovers.


1/4 cup butter, cubed
2 large sweet onions, thinly sliced
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1/8 tsp salt
8 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups grape tomatoes, halved
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil, divided
1 pkg (16 oz) angel hair pasta
9 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
2/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp coarsely ground papper
Fresh basil leaves, optional

In a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt butter.  Add the onions, pepper flakes and salt; saute until onions are tender.  Stir in garlic.  Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring occasionally, for 30-40 minutes or until the onions are deep golden brown.

Add the grape tomatoes, vinegar and 2 tbsp olive oil to skillet.  Cook pasta according to directions.  Drain pasta and toss with onion mixture.

Drizzle with remaining olive oil.  Sprinkle with bacon, Parmesan cheese and pepper, and heat through.  Garnish with fresh basil if desired.

Savory Romano Sticks
Unfold 2 sheets of thawed puff pastry.  Brush with one beaten egg.  Sprinkle with 1 1/2 cups grated Romano cheese and 1 tbsp dried basil.  Cut each sheet into 10 1 inch strips.  Place on greased baking sheets.  Bake at 400 for 10-13 minutes or until golden brown.

I halved the breadstick recipe as well.  My recommendations for the sticks are to season them with whatever you would normally season garlic bread with and they would be amazing.  They were a little bland for my taste.  Also, make sure that the bottoms are crisp before cooling or the breadsticks are flimsy. 




The best thing about this recipe?? The magazine indicated that the cost is about $2/serving!! Delicious and cheap and something unique to serve your family.

Good eatin',

Deedles

No comments: