Deedles Dish in a Nutshell

I am a Midwestern girl from a long line of cooks who doesn't think cooking needs to be complicated. Enjoy the recipes!

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Ma's Beanless Chili...Or Is It??

I am a pretty adventurous eater.  I'm not sure of the definition of a "foodie" but if it's being willing to at least try anything, that's me.  There is one thing that I cannot and will not eat...beans.  It's not a taste thing.  It's a texture thing.  I have had this issue since I was a wee girl and, if I were to guess, texture is the issue for most kids.  I offer you a solution for chili if beans are the problem in your household.

My mama loves her Deedles so much!!! So much that she devised a special twist to get me to eat her chili without leaving half of it in the bowl.  Because I always loved the taste of her chili, I would eat around the beans which was a huge waste.  My mother came up with an ingenious plan to put the beans in a food processor, liquify them, then add them into the chili mixture.  BRILLIANT!!!

Ma's Beanless (but not) Chili
1 lt V-8 (the Spicy is really good in this chili but it's up to your preference)
1 packet chili seasoning
1 can chili beans
1 c salsa
1 lb hamburger
pinch sugar

Brown and drain hamburger.  In a large Dutch Oven, mix V-8, chili seasoning, salsa and hamburger.  Heat on low heat.  In food processor, pulse chili beans on high until smooth and add to chili mixture.  Add a pinch of sugar to cut the acid of the tomato juice.  Heat on low for approximately three hours.  Serve.

Obviously you don't have to blend the beans if you prefer.  Also, there are a lot of options for adding some spice to this chili.  You can use Spicy V-8 as indicated above.  They also make a "hot" chili seasoning and "hot" chili beans.  As for the salsa, I use medium but you could add spice there as well.  I made this once for a crowd that LOVES spicy food.  I included all of the hot options.  While I could barely swallow a spoonful, it was a hit at the party. :)




What a great way to still get the flavor and nutritional benefits of the beans without that nasty texture!!! Basically, my mom's a genius.

Good eatin',

Deedles

No comments: