Deedles Dish in a Nutshell

I am a Midwestern girl from a long line of cooks who doesn't think cooking needs to be complicated. Enjoy the recipes!

Sunday, September 18, 2011

It's a Fruit Field Day!!!

I know it's been awhile since I've posted and I apologize.  Sometimes life just manages to get in the way.  I made the following for a friend's birthday party about a month ago.  I generally do not make desserts to take to parties but my friend was already making delicious pulled pork tacos and mucho more delicious treats and I wanted to follow the theme so I made White Sangria and Fruit Enchiladas.  Both are super easy and delicious. 

White Sangria
Okay, I get that there is a contradiction here.  Sangria is named after sangre because it looks like blood so white sangria doesn't make sense.  It's delicious, though, so who really cares?

Ingredients:
1 bottle white wine (I used Seven Daughters, which is a blend)
1 bottle ginger ale
2 tbsp sugar
2 lemons
2 limes
1 orange
various other fruits (I used a pear, one granny smith apple, and a fresh pineapple)

Chop fruit and soak it in the wine in the fridge to chill overnight.  Add the sugar and ginger ale before serving.  Be sure to eat the fruit! The pineapple was my favorite. ;)



Fruit Enchiladas
These were so easy and so yummy.  A hit at the party for sure! I doubled the recipe for the party.

Ingredients:
6 small tortillas (4 inch)
Fresh fruits of your choice, chopped, to amount to 2 cups (I used blueberries, Colorado peaches, strawberries and red raspberries)
2 cups almond milk
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 tbsp sugar (more or less depending on taste)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Begin by preparing the cinnamon vanilla sauce.  In a saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.  Whisk in flour to create a roux, then add in milk, whisking continuously.  Add in vanilla, cinnamon and sugar while stirring.  Let the mixture come to a light boil (even just bubbbles on the edges are fine) and continue to stir while mixture thickens - about 4-5 minutes.  Turn down to low and stir.  You want it to lightly coat the back of a spoon, but not be too thick.  You can also taste test here and see if you'd like to add any additional cinnamon, sugar or flavoring.

Place about 2 tbsp of chopped fruit in the center of the tortilla and roll.  Spray a baking dish with non-stick spray, ladle 1/2 cup of your vanilla sauce on the bottom of the dish, then lay your enchiladas seam-side down.  When all are rolled, cover with more vanilla sauce.  Keep a little on hand to add on top when they come out of the oven.  Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until fruit in the middle begins to burst and soften.  Serve immediately with the extra sauce on top.


I know we're getting into fall and winter but keep these recipes in mind for spring and summer get-togethers.  They will be a huge hit, I promise!

Good eatin',

Deedles

1 comment:

casey said...

these were both so, so good!